Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Lookin' for a home.....just lookin' for a home.....


I was constructed, probably by a loving dad or granddad, in the 1930s in Wisconsin where I now live, just outside of Milwaukee. 


In the 1960s I came to live with a little girl named Mary Eileen. Her mother redecorated me just a bit....adding some pretty seashell papers in the bathroom and a lovely mauve paper in the bedroom. Mom also made some carpets for the bedroom and living room. 



 In these pictures you can see that Mary Eileen has removed the carpets and my fine hardwood floors are showing.




I still have the wonderful 1930 era floors in my bathroom and kitchen. Isn't the "linoleum" design in the bathroom and the kitchen "tile" great!



Check out my door with doorknob and the nice molding forming the door frame....and a closer view of the original "linoleum". 





My roof is painted blue,  my backside is rather plain....




...but my gables have formed eaves and blue half-timbering with a stucco effect in between the timbering. 




My front gable is similar, but with added corbels in blue and ivory.


Mary Eileen has decided that it is time for another little girl to enjoy my companionship....so like the old song about the boll weevil, I'm lookin' for a home....just lookin' for a home. 


This stately old lady is made of wood and fiberboard....possibly masonite.  She stands 31" high and is 28½” wide.  Front to back she measures 19½” deep.  She needs some TLC but overall is still a handsome house. 

She is much too large and heavy to ship, so Mary Eileen is hoping that someone in the Wisconsin area would like her to live with them. Now that can be a little girl....or an older "girl" who loves and collects dollhouses and will cherish her the same way the family of Mary Eileen has cherished her for the last 80 plus years.  

You may contact Mary Eileen at meswart (at) sbcglobal (dot) 
net.

UPDATE:
Mary Eileen has discovered that this house first belonged to twin girls who were born in 1912. That would put this house being constructed around 1920. It then passed to her first cousin-once-removed, and then to Mary Eileen.  
If you recognize the maker of this wonderful old house, Mary Eileen would love to hear from you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment