Monday, July 29, 2024

Another Keystone of Boston dollhouse


I haven't discovered the production date for this small 4 room Keystone dollhouse, but most likely it is from the 1937-38 period. Keystone catalogs that have been found do not list/show all the models that were produced. 
An excellent source for Keystone catalogs is found on Derrick Clow's Collecting Keystone blog.


This example from the 1938-39 Keystone catalog, is the same basic dollhouse as mine, but with metal shutters and swing out windows. Keystone catalogs for the years 1936-37 haven't been located; evidently Keystone transitioned from the painted shutters/plastic windows to the metal shutters/swing out windows at that time. 



This house is decorated in German furniture along with American Kage, Tiny Toy and Converse, plus other unknown brands.



This is the home of Dieter and Leisel Schulz and their daughters Ella and Leni.

 


This bedroom set (not including the chair on the right and the baby crib) was made in Germany. The picture below is from Dian Zillner's International Dollhouses & Accessories 1880s-1980s.


The description with the picture reads "German ¾" to 1 foot scale bedroom furniture that includes chairs made exactly like the Red Stain dining room chairs of the same size. Several of the pieces in this set are stamped Germany." My set has been repainted with touches of gold paint added.




 

The kitchen is a mixed lot with a pantry marked Germany, a Converse sink with new faucet, an unknown table and chairs and stove and fridge from Germany....


 as shown in this picture from Dian Zillner's Antique & Collectible Dollhouses and Their Furnishings.
 


Leni's room has a Kage dressing table, a Tynietoy chair, a sweet little bed possibly homecrafted, a video viewer of Meersburg Germany for a dollhouse and a wardrobe circa 1920;



The couch and chairs are very similar to others I found in Zillner books circa 1900 Germany, the radio is marked Germany, the library table and lamp are 1928 Schoenhut.  Several years ago I stumbled across unfinished Schoenhut lamps on Ebay. I painted this shade pink to bring out the pink flowers in the circular rug. When checking the date for the lamp and library table in Patty Cooper's Schoenhut Dollhouse Furniture 1928-1934,  I discovered it was produced with a pink shade! 






Little Ella is tucked away for the night, 



Leisel is trying to decide if it would be wise to make a pot of coffee this late in the evening.



Leni is checking to see if she has a reflection in her mirror since her friend Klaus told her vampires don't have one.



 Dieter is listening closely to the news on the radio.


Close up pictures of the furniture follow....just because I always do that when I post on this blog.  







The living room furniture arrived with price tags. Evidently they were in an antique shop at one time. I found them on Ebay and I didn't, wouldn't, couldn't pay that for them....but I am glad they came to live in my little Keystone house.


2 comments:

  1. A great collection for a fun house! I really love that kitchen floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Troy! I am stuck using that kitchen floor pattern for my 30-40s houses because I haven't found another I can copy! cheers!

    ReplyDelete