Wednesday, February 9, 2022

My new dollhouses are both "A" frames!


       
This small A frame dollhouse was produced by Rich Toys as "No. 575" 'John's Cottage', 1940 as described in Rich Toys, Dollhouses 1935-1962  by Cooper, Belanger, and Goranson, 2017.  The house is in very good shape for being 82 years old.




The interior needs work. The second floor is a replacement and is a bit narrow....easy fix!  According to information in the Rich Toys book, it is missing a movable first floor divider as shown in the picture below.


I will check with Etsy Shop Dollhouse Wonders to see if JoAnn Belanger makes these movable partitions....this interior picture is of her dollhouse! 



It is currently furnished with Kage furniture made from 1938-1948, but since the house is so small I will probably try other brands before finishing the house....yes I am still playing!


JoAnn has furnished her dollhouse with Tootsie Toy furniture, made by Dowst Brothers Co from 1922-1937.


My other new A frame house is this "Swiss Chalet" designed and exclusive to the FAO Schwarz Company in their Christmas catalogue of 1937. 



The listing and description as shown in their catalogue is seen below:



My house is missing the "Dutch" door and the flower boxes, but they can be recreated. Some of the paint is missing from the shutters, but the house still retains the original curtains,



Although my house is missing the scalloped edging below the roof line, it has a delightful hand painted mural of a dancing man and lady above the balcony.



The interior is unfinished and a previous owner has glued paper to the floors. After I remove the paper, I will decide whether I will leave the interior plain or decorate. 


Soon after I treated myself to this house as a Christmas present, I discovered these lovely sets of hand painted "cottage" furniture. It is 1:10 scale and the perfect size for the house. 


The "attic" houses the children's area, furnished with items I "borrowed" from other houses.  On the left are small Korbi chairs, a natural wood finish Schoenhut bed from 1928, a wall shelf and baby cradle (behind support post) that came with the furniture found on the first floor, and a hand painted bedroom set that was already in my collection. 








This is my little family that will live in this Swiss Chalet. They came with a tag marked Austria, 1952 with initials E.K.R. I have not researched these dolls and am not sure if EKR stands for the person who made the dolls  or the brand. If you are familiar with these dolls, please share with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment