Tuesday, September 15, 2020

A Lovely Little Fretwork Kitchen


I recently acquired this little fretwork kitchen. 
I know nothing about the origin of these pieces, 
but I do know the craftsmanship is superb.

I am unsure what type of wood was used to make this set, but as you will see later, more than one kind was used. 



The table is a real work of beauty!


It is 1:12 scale:  2½" tall, 3¾" wide, 2¾" deep


The seller thought it might be Swedish. 
 I checked with Patricia, my US expert 
on Swedish dollhouse furniture,


who checked with her Swedish expert in Sweden
who thought it might be German made. 



Here you can see how neatly 
the legs were joined to the back.


The small bench.



The stove is in the style of the 1920s, similar to the ones made 
by Strombecker and Schoenhut during that period. 



Along with the brass tacks used for knobs, 
this style might help to date the years of production. 
Unless, of course,  these pieces are newly made 
using vintage fretwork patterns. 


The oven door opens. 


Even the sides have fretwork....


....and fretwork "gas burners"!



The back, however, is plain.


With the hutch, you see evidence 
of different types of wood being used.


Doors and drawers open. 


The doors on the top of the hutch have a mission style look
that was popular during the teens and 1920s.


The bottom of the hutch has a more ornate fretwork.


The back of the hutch, like the stove, is plain. 

At the same time I acquired my fretwork kitchen set from Indiana, 
a good friend found two hutches in Illinois.  
One of her hutches is an exact duplicate of the one I have. 
Here are her hutches. 




So, what do you think? Vintage made during the 1920s, 
or newly made with vintage fretwork designs? 

A little fretwork history from solarwoodcuts.com :
"The art of fretwork began more than 3000 years ago with fretted inlays on furniture in Egypt.  It has been popular in North America and Europe from the mid 1800's until today.  Fretwork of the 1800's and early 1900's was done with hand fretsaws or foot-powered scroll saws.  In the 1920's several scroll saws were designed for use with electric motors."  


More dollhouse furniture and patterns for fretwork dollhouse furniture can be seen here and here.   

UPDATE 9/23/20:

After publishing this post on my fretwork kitchen, a lovely dining room set was discovered and my friend was able to add it to her collection! So, most likely, there are more pieces to discover!




Sue has added a light stain to her set....isn't it gorgeous!


The buffet and the hutch.....


.....and the complete set! 

If you were wondering if the hutch 
should sit on top of the buffet.....


....we decided the answer is NO!


5 comments:

  1. What beautiful little pieces. I did not know about this style. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have pieces identical to these that I bought in an antique store in Grand Rapids Michigan. I, too, wondered about the origins. I love them and was delighted to know that there are others out there. They are definitely not new, but how old they are and who made them is a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I posted this blog, I started finding many other pieces of fretwork furniture....beds, chairs, armoire, radio, piano, a fireplace surround, living room chairs, dresser in the style of the 1930s and even an outhouse (which looked much newer than my other pieces). I also have a fretwork 4 panel screen with delicate fabric on one side that I found years before. I haven't noticed any pieces in the last 2 years.
      UK Hobbies magazine listed quite a few fretwork patterns in their magazines of the 1930s.
      One of the first pieces I discovered was made from reclaimed wood found in the fruit boxes I saw in groceries stores as a child of the 1940-50s.
      Thank you for sharing your treasured finds! cheers! Florine

      Delete